Top Farm, formerly known as Townsend Farm or End Farm, is one
of the oldest houses in the village, thought to be of the seventeenth
century. Until the 1790s, it was owned by John Stevenson, from
whose executors it was bought by the Faircloth family. They lived
and farmed there until 1834.
The oldest maps show buildings in the area of the present Newton
Hall, but the first Hall seems to have been built only in the
1850s. The earlier buildings, near the present lodge, may have
been among the cottages which constituted CHURCH END, a once distinct
part of the village.
Beyond the Metalwork School and not as far as the house now called
Manor Farm House was a lane linking Dovehouse Close and Town Street
- a kind of Back Lane. (Many villages had a main street, often
called Fore Street and a Back Street or Back Lane). The present
Manor Farm House was called the Dower House by the then very elderly
Miss Stubblefield in the 1930s. I think it was probably built
early in the nineteenth century for the occupation of Mrs. Faircloth
of Townend Farm, after her husband's death, for her lifetime only;
that is, it was her dower house. Upon her death, it was acquired
by the Hurrells. During the nineteenth century there were, at
times, two Hurrell households in the village. One would have occupied
the Manor House, and the other this house.
THE HOFFER BROOK
The brook has been a notable feature of Newton. The Church and
the Manor, ancient sites of occupation, stand close by it and,
no doubt, in the distant past, it would have provided the water
supply necessary to the establishment of any human settlement.
The earliest mention of the brook is in Trinity College documents
of the fourteenth century in which it appears as HOPPEFORTHEBROC
(1308) and HOPPEFORDEBROKE (1323 ). In 1540, it appears as HORFORTHBROKE
and as HOFFER BROOK in 1757.
are extracts taken from the set of three booklets. 'About
Newton, the Five Went Ways' , 'About
Newton, Town Street' and 'About Newton People'.by
Jessie Hall, Copyright 1987.
Booklets are on sale at St Margerets Church and The Queens Head
- all proceeds
to the Church Funds.