975, Edric, a thegn of Essex, left land at Newton and Hauxton to
his lord, King Edgar. The King promised these lands to Bishop Aethelwold
for the newly founded Ely Abbey, but died before the completion
of the transaction. Edric's brother Alwold, having the deeds in
his possession, seized the Newton land, saying that it was distinct
and separate from Hauxton. The monks maintained that the Newton
and Hauxton lands were inseparable and there were prolonged disputes.
Eventually, Ealdorman Beorhtnoth, who felt he owed a debt to the
monks, purchased the land for them. In the reign of King Cnut (1016-1035),
Newton was obliged to supply enough food to support the Abbey for
two whole weeks each year - a kind of rent for the land.
1086, the manor was called Hauxton; Newton was not separately named
in the Domesday Book. The land remained with Ely Abbey throughout
the Conquest. When the See of Ely was founded in 1109, the former
Abbey estates were divided between the Bishop and the Prior and
monks. Hauxton-Newton was given to the Prior and monks. After the
Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1539, the Dean and Chapter of
Ely Cathedral were allowed to have the manor and the lordship was
vested in them and nowadays rests with the Church Commissioners.
Because the manor farm was in Newton, the name of the manor became
Newton-Hauxton. But the earlier church was that of Hauxton, so the
joint parish name put Hauxton first. Hauxton must have been the