It has been my experience that, far and
wide, whenever Newton is mentioned, people murmur happily, "Oh
- the Queens Head !" It was probably to provide for the needs
of travellers rather than those of local people that the Queens
Head was established. The building is officially "listed"
as early eighteenth century and the first victualler was licensed
in 1728 (see Appendix 2). Village people would have been in the
habit of obtaining any ale not made in the homes from ale-houses.
These were ordinary houses, marked sometimes by a bush hanging
outside, where permission had been given by a magistrate for the
sale of home-brewed ale, " but not during the times of Divine
Perhaps the establishment of the Queens Head changed the social
life of the villagers to some extent. Travellers would certainly
have brought news of distant places and events. Perhaps some villagers
would have gathered there to talk and drink; but Newton was always
a small village where most of the men were employed on the land
at very, very low wages, and probably had little to spend on conviviality.
The Short family, early in the 1960s, initiated extensive restorations
and improvements and, over the intervening years, have made the
Queens Head a very attractive village pub with Egon Ronay listing.
It is probably better known now than ever before in its history.
OF THE QUEENS HEAD
from "Recognizances for Victuallers"
Michael King of Newton
1730 no entry for Newton
1731-1738 John Rule of Newton
1739-1752 no records
1753-1779 Anthony Allcock of Newton
other sources including nineteenth century directories
1787-1789 Thomas Mitchell
1791-1806 Edward Ashby ( an Edward Ashby
1807-1826 Edward Ashby ( was entered in
1827-1828 Thomas Kidman ( the 1851 Census ( 95 !
In 1847, 1858 ( as a widower of & 1865 John Howard
1892,1904 & 1908 Mortimer Smith
1916 Miss V.J.Smith
1922,1926 Mrs. Caroline Smith
1929,1933 Miss V.J.Smith
1948 John Morris
1954 Sidney Bowditch
1960 Norman Mills
1962 Clifford Henry Short
1971 David Martin Valentine Short
are extracts taken from the set of three booklets. 'About
Newton, the Five Went Ways' , 'About
Newton, Town Street' and 'About Newton People'.by
Jessie Hall, Copyright 1987.
Booklets are on sale at St Margerets Church and The Queens Head
- all proceeds
to the Church Funds.