1919 was an important year for the development of organised
social life in Newton. With the end of the terrible First World
War came a feeling that there must be improvements on the old pre-war
style of living which had meant considerable and widespread poverty
and, in the countryside, isolation as well.
A Women's Institute was started in Cambridgeshire in 1918, and by
October 1919 it had been decided to form an Institute in Newton.
Miss Cranfield, the teacher, played a prominent part in the formation
and running of the Institute. The first meeting was held on November
5th. and thirty-five members enrolled.
In 1919 there took place the first meeting of the Social Club for
Men and Boys. They met in the School in October and decided to continue.
Miss Cranfield helped to organise this also.
In September 1920, Sir Charles and Lady Walston presented the Village
Hall, built by Mr. Jude of Harston and designed by Architect Sir
Ambrose Poynter. The construction included a thirteenth century
beam from an ancient abbey, given by Mr. Hurrell. This may be the
beam over the main door.
1920 also saw the unveiling of the War Memorials,
one in the Church and the other in front of the Village Hall. The
latter is said to have been designed by Lady Walston.
are extracts taken from the set of three booklets. 'About
Newton, the Five Went Ways' , 'About
Newton, Town Street' and 'About Newton People'.by
Jessie Hall, Copyright 1987.
Booklets are on sale at St Margerets Church and The Queens Head
- all proceeds
to the Church Funds.
Bookings please contact: Jackie